Wednesday 30 July 2008

Cuil, is it Cool?

As I'm sure you've read, Cuil.com is the new search engine on the block. It's main claim to fame is that it supposedly has by far the largest search index of any search engine. However, on the basis of my review of Cuil.com, I suspect it will be a short-lived flash in the pan.

Here's what I think is uncool about Cuil:

  1. Limited functionality: compared to Google, for example, the functionality of the site is just too limited. I have become so used to being able to search the Web, images, news, etc. with a single additional click that I could never switch to another search engine that doesn't offer that functionality.
  2. Search results format: I really hate the 2- or 3-column result layout and from this layout I cannot obviously tell the ranking of the results. I also don't like the images inserted into the results
  3. Actual search results: for several of the searches that I have run on Cuil.com, I just didn't think the results they provided were always the best results for my search terms.
However, on the plus side, the main thing I do like about Cuil, is the tabs that appear along the top for certain searches, which allow you to "drill down" into specific topics related to your initial search.

For example, when I searched for "elivs presley" the following tabs appeared: Elvis Presley Lyrics, Elvis Presley Enterprises, Elvis Presley Pictures, as well as a "More" tab, containing a list of, perhaps, more obscure categories.

All in all, I think Cuil.com has a long way to go before Google and Yahoo will start worrying.

16 comments:

Anupama said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Web Design COmpany Panchkula said...

Hi Friend,

Nice to see your Blog.....I Like it Blog.

I am also interested in latest news, sometimes i posted on my blog.....

SEO delhi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
domain name registration said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sowmya said...

Thanks for sharing this which is really excellent. Keep up your work done.
seo forums

Create an Online Shop said...

This is my first visit to ur blog and even i got to know about the interesting website.

SEO Tampa said...

Another nice information here I found.

digital agency said...

i am very glad to see this blog post and i'll wait for your next blog post you have shared very latest information.

thanks

digital agency

Unknown said...

Very informative, detailed and well explained! I must admit I'm impressed.

mykylieramirez

Jacksonville SEO Service said...

Good to see cool post here for me.

Tampa SEO company said...

The thing I found here is really unique about SEO.

Jack said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abarshini said...

Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!









Online Marketing and SEO

galaxy note 2 cases said...

Really its Amazing article. This is very nice and you had presented this article in such a manner that everyone can understand it easily!

Anonymous said...

Free tutorials and reference manuals with examples for PHP,HTML,JAVASCRIPT,CSS,AJAX,JQUERY,MYSQL,NETWORKING
HTML5,OPENSOURCE,REST,SEO,SOAP.Please refer http://wamp6.com/

crazyseo20 said...

I'm working as SEO. Good, timely post. In this post-penguin world, you should focus more on quality content,I am determined to become a successful seo. you're post really work.Keep posting

seo services in australia